A blog dedicated to the pursuit of all roads in the United States except Interstates

Saturday, October 17, 2009

State Park Reveals Its Commercial Tourist Attraction Past


This is a view of Caesar's Head at Caesar's Head State Park, South Carolina. Someone thought that rock looked like old Julius or Augustus. The park may be found on winding, twisting US 276 north of Greenville.

 The state park was once a privately operated roadside tourist attraction. There is telltale evidence of that heritage in the two photos below. In the left photo is one of those coin-operated telescopes that you found at any attraction in the mountains. I never knew what I was looking at through one of those things.

The photo to the right shows a cleft in the rock with a sign reading "Devil's Kitchen." Commercial tourist attractions liked to give cute names like that to various rock formations. The best examples of this are at Chimney Rock and Rock City.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I value my readers' opinions of my posts. They help me make decisions about future posts.