A blog dedicated to the pursuit of all roads in the United States except Interstates

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Christiansburg Wayside, Routes 460/11 VA


Before interstate highways were built in Virginia, the state opeated a system of "waysides" on most of the primary highways. These were similar to the rest areas that you find on Interstates today. I remember seeing a few of them as a child. Most of them no longer have restrooms, but they still have picnic tables. This is the Christiansburg Wayside on US Routes 460 and 11 just north of the town of Christiansburg. It's perched at the top of Christiansburg Mountain, and hence on top of the Eastern Continental Divide. Interstate 81 takes ten miles to ascend Christiansburg Mountain. 460/11 makes the climb in about one mile. It's steep, but I've seen steeper hills.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I value my readers' opinions of my posts. They help me make decisions about future posts.